Easy steps to secure your online information
We all know that cyber security is a major issue. The potential of getting hacked or worse is rather alarming. Taking these cyber security steps will help reduce the chance that your digital information is accessed by hackers.
Secure your email, social media and apps
Put strong security on important accounts where you exchange personal or sensitive information such as email, bank and social media accounts.
- Turn on two-factor authentication on your important accounts for an extra layer or security.
- Use strong passwords on your accounts - use a paraphrase of at least 13 character made up of about four meaningful words to you but not easy to guess.
- Don't use the same password on any of your accounts.
- Consider using a reputable password manager.
Secure your computer and mobile
- Always use a PIN or password on your mobile and computer.
- Always do the software updates such as Microsoft, iOS and Android.
- Make sure you download apps from official stores.
- Install security software on your devices to protect from malicious software.
Watch out for scam messages
Online scams and 'phishing' by email, SMS, social media posts and direct messaging are designed to steal your logins, credentials and personal details or to download malicious software onto your device.
- Check before you click links - hover over the link to see the actual web address.
- Never enter your username or password from links in messages to your accounts - go to the official website or app.
- If a message seems suspicious, contact the person/business through a separate, legitimate source to confirm it.
Check public Wi-Fi before connecting
Information shared through public Wi-Fi hotspots in cafes, airorts and hotels and other public places can be intercepted.
- Turn off all automatic connection to public Wi-Fi on your devices.
- Choose to connect to non-public Wi-Fi for a more secure connection.
- Consider using a reputable Virtual Prviate Network (VPN) application on your device.
The Money Edge | Bundaberg