Call (07) 4151 8898  Call (07) 4151 8898 

Hiring a working holiday maker?

If you are hiring a new employee, and they have ticked the box at question eight on their Tax File Number declaration form to declare they are a 'working holiday maker' here is what you need to do:

1. Register
 You will need to register as an employer of working holiday makers. Fill out the ATO's Working holiday maker employer registration form online before you make your first payment to them. You will need your:

2. Check Visa
Confirm your working holiday maker has a valid visa (subclass 417 or 462) by using the Visa Entitlement Verifcation Online (VEVO) service. 

Your employee can do this for you online, or via the myVEVO app, and send you an email verifying their details. 

3. Apply tax and super
Once you register, you must withhold 15% from every dollar your working holiday maker earns up to $37,000. The tax rates change for amounts about this. 

You also need to pay eligible super contributions as you normally would - they can claim these back when they leave Australia. 

For more information visit the ATO website or contact The Money Edge. 

The Money Edge | Bundaberg 

Recent Posts


Subscribe to keep informed!

Sign up for The Money Edge's Money Tips!

First Name

Email Address

The Money Edge respects your privacy. If you do not wish to receive any further mail from us, please feel free to contact us on the below contact details . For more information about The Money Edge's privacy policy, please refer to our Privacy Policy