Call (07) 4151 8898  Call (07) 4151 8898 

Car Expenses - What's under the bonnet?

If you use your own car for work purposes, you can claim a deduction using the cents per kilometre method or logbook method. If you use someone else's car for work purposes, you can only claim for direct costs you pay for - such as fuel.

You can claim a deduction for a car expense if:


You can calculate your car expenses in two ways. 

Cents per kilometre method:

Logbook method:

Your vehicle is not considered a car if it is a motorcycle or a vehicle with a carrying capacity of:

Keep receipts for your actual expenses. You cannot use the cents per kilometre method for these vehicles. While it is not a requirement to keep a logbook, it is the easiest way to show how you have calculated your work-related use of the vehicle. 

The Money Edge | Bundaberg 

Recent Posts


Subscribe to keep informed!

Sign up for The Money Edge's Money Tips!

First Name

Email Address

The Money Edge respects your privacy. If you do not wish to receive any further mail from us, please feel free to contact us on the below contact details . For more information about The Money Edge's privacy policy, please refer to our Privacy Policy