Scammers fake ATO Phone Numbers
There is a current scam involving pre-recorded robocalls impersonating the ATO and threatening immediate arrest for an unpaid tax debt. The scammers use a technology known as ‘spoofing’ to show a genuine ATO number on the caller ID.
If you receive one of these calls or a voicemail please hang up or delete it immediately. If you have shared any personal information, or have made a payment to a scammer please call the dedicated scam line on 1800 008 540.
The ATO will never:
- issue a pre-recorded message (robocall) to your phone
- present a phone number on caller ID
- threaten immediate arrest, jail or deportation for unpaid tax debts
- demand immediate payments of a tax debt by direct credit to a personal bank account, via iTunes or Google Play cards, pre-paid Visa cards, or cryptocurrency
- refuse to allow them to speak with a trusted advisor or regular tax agent
- attempt to keep them on the line until they make a payment
Scammers are becoming more sophisticated, using technology that allows them to replicate caller IDs, websites and email addresses. The best way to protect yourself against scams is to:
- not share personal details such as your tax file number, date of birth, credit card or bank details, unless you know you can trust the person that you are dealing with
- be aware of the status of your tax affairs. You can check that by personally logging into your own myGov account, or contacting us on 07 4151 8898
The Money Edge | Bundaberg