Goal Setting Guidelines – 10 Tips
Goal setting for all aspects of your life, be it business or personal, can give you long term vision and short term motivation. And what better time to start thinking about goal setting than the beginning of a brand new year!! Here are a few of our tips when it comes to the process of goal setting :
1. Begin by making sure you are in a positive and confident frame of mind (if the New Year’s party you attended is still fresh in your mind you may want to wait until tomorrow!!). Before you sit down to plan, do something that will open up your mind.
2. Set goals that motivate you. Ensure they are important to you and that you see value in achieving them.
3. If you are having difficulty in defining what it is that you really want, think about what you don’t want and turn this around into a goal.
4. Set SMART goals – make sure they are specific, measurable, attainable, relevant and time bound.
5. Write your goals down. This makes them real and tangible so they cannot be forgotten! Use the word ‘will’ instead of ‘might’ or ‘would like to’.
6. Make an action plan. List each step of the process you need to take to achieve your goals. Mark them off once completed.
7. Consider what you will need to stop doing in order to make room for the time you will need to carry out the action plan.
8. Rather than listing a set of rules in your action plan, write guidelines. Rules, by their nature, are made to be broken! Much like a new year’s resolution, a quickly broken rule can lead to total abandonment of the goal. Instead of saying ‘I will no longer make frivolous purchases’, try saying ‘if there is an item I wish to purchase, I will wait 48 hours. If I still want it after this time, I will purchase it’.
9. Stick with it. Monitor your progress. Celebrate the smaller milestones.
10. Remember that goals can change along the way. Review your goals. Be prepared to deviate from the original plan if necessary. Ensure your goals remain relevant and valuable to you.